We exist to enrich community experiences. We reimagine destinations of the future, creating places where people love to connect. We do this by creating unique and relevant consumer experiences, delivering compelling value to our retail partners and striving for excellence in everything we do.
Data science is a key to the future success of our business; it helps us to continually improve our understanding of our customers and the customer opportunity, such that we can deliver on our purpose and brand ambition of "Better, Easier, More Enjoyable".
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data Science and Insights team in a newly created role. As a crucial team member, you will have the ability to harmonise and translate qualitative and quantitative data into actionable insights, and help us in creating an awesome place to work.
Based in our Chadstone office and reporting into the Head of Data Science, you will help improve the way we run our centres by working closely with the National Operations teams to deliver data-driven insights and results that will lead to operational efficiencies and optimise our utilisation of resources (with a particular focus on energy).
What will success look like?
- Hands-on data science tasks including data collection, data integration, building datasets, developing algorithms, process automation and data visualisation
- Designing and building integrated datasets that draw upon the many disparate data sources available in the Vicinity Data Lake
- Sourcing additional data from external systems and data suppliers (including IoT devices), and then establishing ongoing data feeds into the Vicinity Data Lake (via an automated process)
- Developing outputs to be used across the business, such as reports, data visualisations and prescriptive algorithms
- Presenting outputs to stakeholders across the business, and training them how to access, interact and interpret the results contained
- Developing statistical models and algorithms to aid data integration, data analysis and application of insights across the business
- Synthesising the available data and information to present key insights that can assist Vicinity with developing strategies, executing initiatives and evaluating effectiveness
- Assisting with development of strategies to optimise the way we run our business, with respect to our utilisation of energy, water, waste and labour resources
- Fostering a data and insights first culture that inspires all our people to become data and insights advocates
- Piloting innovative approaches and demonstrating how data science and insights can add value across the business
What will you bring?
- Research degree (Masters or PhD) in applied mathematics, economics, engineering, physics, statistics or relevant discipline
- Previous experience in a hands-on data analytics role where you have directly contributed to the development and delivery of reports/insights that led to practical recommendations
- Experience using analytical tools, such as R, Python and Stata
- Experience with data visualisation tools, such as Tableau and D3.js
- Experience with data collection, data governance, data privacy management and robust research integrity processes
- Understanding of mathematics, probability principles and statistics theory
- Understanding of energy market would be beneficial
The successful Data Scientist will be a highly effective communicator with the ability to deliver results and translate your own technical aptitude into simple, easy to understand explanations.
You have a love for the complex and are not daunted by large amounts of structured and unstructured data. You have the courage to trial new ways and approaches and to learn quickly. And you are passionate about providing insights that surprise and delight.
Our values cultivate a culture that encourages our 1300+ team members to be curious, agile, passionate and committed. At Vicinity we embrace difference. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that supports diversity and flexibility.